The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program provides jobs for undergraduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study.

How much can I make?

    Your FWS salary will be at least the current federal minimum wage, but it may be higher, depending on the type of work you do and the skills required. Your total FWS award depends on when you apply, your level of need, and the funding level of your school.

How will I be paid?

    If you’re an undergraduate, you’ll be paid by the hour. If you’re a graduate student, you may be paid by the hour or you may receive a salary. No FWS student may be paid by commission or fee. Your school must pay you directly at least once a month.

Are Federal Work-Study jobs on campus or off campus?

    Both. If you work on campus, you’ll usually work for your school. If you work off campus, your employer will usually be a private non-profit organization or a public agency, and the work performed must be in the public interest. Some schools may have agreements with private for-profit employers for FWS jobs, which must be relevant to your course of study. If you attend a proprietary school, there may be further restrictions on the jobs you can be assigned.

Can I work as many hours as I want?

    No, the amount you earn can’t exceed your total FWS award. When assigning work hours, your employer or FAA will consider your class schedule and your academic progress.